Also be sure to visit:

My friend's website:

Jan 1, 2009

Alcohol Prohibition Slaymaker Seal Lock

This is a neat custom purpose lock:






I just purchased this watch from a friend of mine that picked up at a flea market. It is very unusual. It appears to be in good used condition. I will try and describe all the fuctions. The front window piece is spring loaded. When the key is inserted it moves left and returns to it's original position when the key is removed. When the lock is engaged the panel that is hinged, will not open. I'm not sure what this lock was designed for. I will publish any information that is emailed to me. Please see photos for details. The lock is 3.75" in height and weighs 1.5 lbs.

Added Later to the posting: U.S.B.I.R. STANDS FOR UNITED STATES BUREAU OF INDUSTRIAL ALCOHOL AND IS A SEAL LOCK AND WAS USED TO LOCK SHIPMENTS OF ALCOHOL DURING PROHIBITION. WITH THE LOCK IN THE OPEN POSITION, A SPECIAL PAPER SEAL WAS PLACED UNDER THE FRONT HINGED PIECE THEN THE LOCK WAS CLOSED. AT THE SHIPMENTS DESTINITION THE SEAL WAS CHECKED AND IF THE SEAL WAS BROKEN , SOMEONE HAD BEEN TAMPERING WITH THE SHIPMENT. THE ONLY WAY TO OPEN THE LOCK IS TO BREAK - eBay

This lock sold for $200.50 (Plus $15 Shipping).
-----

No comments: