Also be sure to visit:

My friend's website:

Feb 15, 2009

Adam's Handcuffs - OLD VINTAGE HANDCUFFS CIVIL WAR ERA-1862

Here is another fine example of Adam's Handcuffs. This set is now mine:





EARLY MODEL HANDCUFFS THAT HAVE THE ORIGINAL KEY. I THINK THESE ARE BY ADAMS, WHO RECEIVED A PATENT IN 1862. THE HINGES AND KEY MOVE FREELY AND THERE IS VERY LITTLE WEAR OR PITT MARKS---I HAVEN'T CLEANED THESE, THEY ARE AS THEY WERE STORED --i AM USING THE INFORMATION FROM A PREVIOUS AUCTION THAT SOLD THE EXACT SAME PAIR OF THESE HANDCUFFS.I DO NOT SEE ANY OTHER MARKS ON THESE CUFFS TO DECIDE ON THE NAME SO I LOOKED UP THE EXACT PICTURE. 100% THE SAME AS PREVIOUS AUCTION--SHIPPING IS $7.00 AND INSURANCE IS ADVISED--TOTAL MEASUREMENT LENGTH IS 10 1/2 INCHES WHEN FULLY EXTENDED- - eBay

After the auction, the seller sent me the following additional information:

"Hi--I found a clipping in the box with these cuffs, among other things.I dont know if they should go together but if you want it, I will sent it along. It says the following--1907--here is a quoted item : " The handcuffs which William Harvey Carswell wore at the time he was led to his doom on the gallows nearly 40 years ago, to answer to the crime of murder commited on Pond Hill in this town-(which is camden NY) were presented by Hugh Owen in Rome NY Tuesday to officer Herbert Sanford, Camden (NY). I dont know if you want it but it kind of dates the cuffs 40 years before 1907."

Lars, who owns the massive collection at "The Lars Holst Restraint Collection" sent me some additional details on the Adam's cuffs:
Your version seem to be the second version with 8 notches. The first version, “Patent applied for” had 15 notches.
This set of handcuffs solde for $240.50 (Plus $7 Shipping).
-----

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have the Adams "patent Applied For" cuffs - with eight notches though.