Also be sure to visit:

My friend's website:

Mar 22, 2011

S C Thomson Brass Padlock & Key Pat. 1853

I was one of the bidders on this lock that greatly underestimated what this padlock was going to go for. This is one reason I blog about these locks, to remember for next time, if there is a next time...







This is an antique brass padlock with original key . It is marked on the swiveling keyhole guard S C THOMSON & CO NEWARK N.J . On the arm of the lock it is marked PATENTED AUG 23 1853 .Use the ZOOM feature on my photos to view these marks . The lock is quite large . It measures 4 1/4" high x 3 3/8" wide x 1 1/4" thick .The lock weighs 1/2 an ounce under 2 pounds .The keys measures just over 2 1/2" long . It works very well . The lock and key are very well made and in very good condition with nice wear and a great patina . A nice old example being offered with no reserve. - eBay (11 March 2011)

This padlock had a high bid of $823 (Plus $7.05 Shipping).
-----

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just purchased an identical S.C. Thomson lock lacking a key. The only difference is that mine has the numeral "11" stamped between "patented" and "aug 22 1853" on the hasp. Anyone have a key?

Joe

Anonymous said...

Joe,
I have a few antique railroad locks and a lot of assorted keys. I also have the identical S.C. Thompson lock without a key and mine has the numeral "5" stamped in the same place as yours. I would like to sell it or perhaps get the key for it.
Don

Anonymous said...

I think it was due to the size - 4 1/4 inches. The larger lever locks are on the scarce side, however I got mine in a padlock auction for less than half of that.

Anonymous said...

Hello to any one who can help I have a rail road lock patent is Aug 26 1852
SC Thomson & Co Newark NJ
On the back stamped NPRR & under That is C stapled & I would like a key if possible
Please fill free to call me
John 530 391 2389
Thanks I am in Oregon

Anonymous said...

So I was wrong on the patent date it is 23 1853

James Rousell said...

I have an identical lock, bought in Seattle, with no 12 on it ( sea hawks fan?). Would love to get a key if that’s even possible. James.rousell@hotmail.com