Also be sure to visit:

My friend's website:

Aug 16, 2010

Hand Made Antique Leg IronsShackles - 1800 Finland

Here is a nice old set of leg irons from Finland.







These shackles are the real thing. They come from my Father’s estate. His notes say Finland, 1800. I sent photos to serious collector who also sells this type of item. He spent a number of years in Finland. He said they are hand made iron shackles as well as confirming the date/period. The chain measures 43 inches long. The chain links are 3 inches long and one inch wide. The cuffs are approximately 1 3/4 inches wide and 3/8 inch thick. The diameter is 3 6/8’s inches. On one side of each cuff near the hinge, there is some impairment due to use. I think not unusual considering they are over 200 years old. They are not broken. The weight is approximately 14 pounds.

It is one thing to watch an old movie and see a chain gang. It is quite another experience to hold these extremely heavy old shackles in my hands and wish they could speak. I am holding a piece of history. - eBay (8 August 2010)


This set of leg irons had a high bid of $458.50 (Plus $18 Shipping).
-----

No comments: