Also be sure to visit:

My friend's website:

Nov 6, 2008

Old Brass Combination Padlock Patented Dec. 7, 1869

Here is a very old and rare brass combination padlock:




This is a large heavy brass combination lock stamped on one end- Pat. Jan. 7, 68 and Dec.. 7, 69. There is no manufacturer of name that I can find on it. It has 4 rings with numbers plus a 5th ring also turns. The end with the patent dates is loose and tries to turn plus the end where the hasp fits also turns. The hasp is not locked in and the pin is closed, but I don't know the combination. I have seen these called Puzzle locks and Ring padlocks. The lock has some ver-di-gris and numerous dings and use marks, but is good and solid. I tried removing a little of the ver-di-gris from the patent dates so I could read them, otherwise it hasn't been cleaned and is just as it was found. The lock barrel measures about 3 1/8 inches long and it is about the same in height. - eBay
Too bad that the lock is not fully functioning or at least not with a known combination.

Despite not having a combination, this lock sold for $415 (Plus $6.25 in shipping)

-----

No comments: